This month, we are introducing a brand new section called “How To’s.” These posts will consist of tips/ advice on how to purchase or wear anything – from how to differentiate between a fake or real designer bag to investing in a classic suit. And we’re kicking it off with one of the hottest trends, Skinny Denim. So without further ado…
Unless you are one of those lucky few (depending on who you ask) who has a model-like figure, you’re probably cursing the return of skinny denim. Skinny jeans look fabulous on girls with bodies like models because simply put…they’re skinny. Now for the rest of us with curves…let’s be realistic. It’s not as easy to pull off. (I am by no means advocating unhealthy dieting or anything of that sort. In fact, I think if you take a poll, most men and women prefer the curves. But I digress.) However, the truth is that we all can still wear this look – we just need to know which pair to pick and how to wear them. Here are a few tips that I’ve picked up from my own long, torturing but finished search for the perfect pair of skinny denim:
– Proportion is key. If you’re self-concious about your tummy/ hip/ butt area, pick a pair that are more similar to straight legs than stovepipes. Pair it with a long, cozy chunky knit cardigan or a floaty top belted at the narrowest part of the waist. It’s also a great time to try that sweater dress that’s making a comeback this season.
– Try brands that you know look good on your body. More than likely, they will make a pair of cigarette or straight-legged jeans that fit your body well. For instance, Joe’s Jeans look fabulous on me, but Yanuk…not so much.
– Choose a solid color. It’s a fabulous compromise on another current trend, leggings. (um…how much of the 80’s are coming back, seriously?). It has a similar shape, but you won’t feel too self-conscious about your body.
– Tucking them into boots is still chic and especially convenient for staying warm when the weather cools. Pair it with a blazer or fitted oxford shirt and wide headband for an almost equestrian look.
– Petite gals out there…take a pair of heels with you when you have your jeans tailored. They should be long enough to at least cover the ankles. This will help give the illusion of height and make your legs look so much longer than they are. If you must wear flats, pick a pointed toe to help elongate legs, giving you a long and lean silhouette. Trust me, this works!
Have any advice/ tips to share? We’d love to hear from you! Or if you have any requests, please feel free to email us!