Beauty, Obsessions, SkincareUV Expert 20 by Lancome

For years, jet-setters and beauty junkies have been smuggling European sunscreens back to the States for one simple ingredient — Mexoryl SX. It is one of the most effective and stable elements used to fight UVA rays. Though UVA rays account for up to 95% of the UV radiation on earth, you may be surprised to hear that most sunscreens in the U.S. currently don’t contain this ingredient. UVA rays are the incredibly harmful to the health of your skin; they can penetrate skin and can cause pre-mature aging like wrinkles, age sports and loss of firmness — or possibly even, melanoma. Well, no more overseas trips are needed!

Lancôme recently rolled out with the UV Expert 20, the very first FDA-approved sunscreen to contain Mexoryl SX. It’s one of two Mexoryl SX- sunscreens sold in the U.S. (The other one is La-Roche Posay Athelios SX SPF15.) Parsol 1789 combined with Mexoryl SX helps fight short and long UVA rays. UVB protection is provided by Octocrylene, while Titanium Dioxide offers both UVA and UVB protection.

I personally am in love, love, love with the Lancôme UV Expert 20. In fact, I’m counting it as a new obsession. The sunscreen works for both face and body. It also is waterproof; in fact, it retains its SPF20 after 40 minutes of activity in the water or perspiration. Slather it on generously to protect skin, but it won’t feel greasy, oily or heavy at all! In fact, it’s very lightweight and sinks in very easily. It also has a very pleasant scent unlike most other sunscreens. Meroxyl SX may be the selling point for the sunscreen, but I also want to say that it’s one of the best sunscreens I’ve tried.

I highly, highly recommend that you purchase this product. Sunscreen is probably one of the easiest and most important steps that you should take every single day to protect your skin. I really can’t emphasize that enough! You’ll be amazed by what a difference it can make down the line.

Retails for $35 at Lancôme.com.

1. Prettyfashionfinds  |  29 May 2007 at 12:37 PM

I like your blog! I’ve added you to my blog.

2. Jensen  |  30 May 2007 at 8:46 AM

I literally ran out to buy this after reading your post — I’m an avid fan of Anthelios SX, but wanted something with a little less sheen for daily use on my face. The consistency is a bit thicker than Anthelios, which scared me at first, but the finish was just a touch more matte — perfect!
    Thanks for the tip off. Love the site.

3. shoppingsmycardio  |  30 May 2007 at 2:21 PM

ooh, i so want to try this out! can i ask – are you guys normally prone to skin that hates sunscreen? just wondering how this works on finicky skin….

4. thedailyobsession  |  30 May 2007 at 6:37 PM

Prettyfashionfinds – thanks! :)

Jensen РOh, that’s so wonderful to hear! I’m glad that it works for you. And thanks for the super sweet comments. I’m so glad that you enjoy the blog…

Shoppingsmycardio РOk, so before now, I actually only wore tinted moisturizer with SPF on a daily basis because I hated how typical sunscreens affect my skin. This is like a godsend. I’m really prone to weather-related breakouts Рand let me tell you Рeven in 80-90 degree weather, this didn’t cause any problems. I also had a co-worker try it, who has sensitive skin that reacts to pretty much everything…and this was totally fine for her. Hope it helps!

Plus, check out our mentions on Coutorture & Elle right now! We are ever so grateful to them. xoxo.

5. diana  |  31 December 2007 at 12:34 AM

I’ve used the La Roche Posay Anthelios SX, the Kiehl’s sunblock with Mexoryl and this Lancome one this year. The packaging, smell and consistency seems all the same to me. Anyone know if there is any difference between these estee lauder Mexoryl sunblocks??

6. Michael  |  13 June 2008 at 10:53 PM

For the last year I’ve been smuggling in Ombrelle from Canada. This stuff is amazing for body, but would always make my forehead break out. Have the new face version in the mail as I write. I love the consistency, so light and I never burn and the wrinkles are mysteriously vanishing…well not so mysterious once you realize the hoax American Sunscreen companies have perpetrated on the American people since their inception.

Almost everyone in my family has Skin cancer so I’m always on the look-out for ways to stay cancer free.

A new product I’ve been using which really works well in moderate climate is L’oreal’s Revitalift UV. Has Mexoryl and is very light on the skin. Only problem is the heat here is Texas in the summer, I can actually see it sweating off my face, so when you mentioned water-resistant and sweat-resistant I was very excited. Going to run out a buy it tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip!

7. Lucky  |  23 August 2014 at 9:29 AM

That’s a posting full of inihtsg!

8. Fred  |  24 August 2014 at 8:46 PM

Hello there! Quick question that’s ctllmeoepy off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when viewing from my iphone. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to resolve this problem. If you have any recommendations, please share. Thank you!