Perfumer Susanne Lang has launched Sula, a line of scents specifically designed for what she calls “playering”–the art of playfully layering and combining different scents to express individuality. The six Sula scents are called Champagne Sugar, Stiletto Musk, Vanilla Blossom, Sun-Kissed Citrus, Lily Lotus, and Butterfly Kiss. These scents can be worn individually and are packaged in adorable square glass bottles, each adorned with a bright, whimsical design. From these fragrances, Ms. Lang pre-selected layering sets of two fragrances to be “playered” and worn together. Each layering set was designed to capture a distinct personality type, with cute names like the Vixen, Supermodel, Socialite, Beach Beauty, and the Girl Next Door.
My favorite individual scent is the sweet-smelling Champagne Sugar and my favorite layering set is the Vixen, which is Champagne Sugar + Stiletto Musk. Worn together or alone, those sweet scents are perfect for a date with a special someone or a night out on the town. I also liked the Beach Beauty layering set (Sun-Kissed Citrus + Vanilla Blossom), which is a light and fresh scent that is perfect for warmer weather. Try wearing the layered scents on different pulse points, or combine them directly on top of one another. The result, mixed with your body chemistry, should be a unique fragrance! It is definitely fun to try “playering,” and I love that each individual scent is wonderful on its own as well.
Full-size bottles retail for $32, while each layering set goes for $30. Sula can be found at Ulta and select Anthropologie stores. More information on the elements in each fragrance and layering set, after the cut!
- Champagne Sugar: contains top notes of pomegranate and grapefruit; heart notes of pink champagne, cotton candy, and centifolia rose; and base notes of sheer woods and sugar cane.
- Stiletto Musk: mandarin and aldehyde top notes; osmanthus and powdery musk heart notes; and amber, patchouli, tonka, and vanilla bean base notes.
- Vanilla Blossom: top note of coconut milk; heart notes of pink orchid and cherry blossom; and base notes of Madagascar vanilla and almond.
- Sun-Kissed Citrus: top notes of grapefruit zest, citron, and Japanese yuzu; heart notes of green apple, jasmine, and melon; and base notes of blondewood and sandalwood.
- Lily Lotus: purple lilac and peach nectar top notes; lily of the valley and lotus blossom heart notes; and a base note of skin musk.
- Butterfly Kiss: sweet pea and pink peony top notes; blackberry, white freesia, and dewy gardenia heart notes; and a sheer musk base note.
The layering sets include:
- The Vixen = Stiletto Musk + Champagne Sugar
- The Supermodel = Stiletto Musk + Vanilla Blossom
- The Socialite = Butterfly Kiss + Champagne Sugar
- The Beach Beauty = Sun-Kissed Citrus + Vanilla Blossom
- The Girl Next Door = Lily Lotus + Butterfly Kiss