Cardigans are a classic item that most people have in their wardrobes and with cold weather up ahead, they are coming out of the closet. But have you ever felt like it ends up looking too prissy, ultimately making you look older or uptight? I know that I have! Here are our tips on how to buy and wear cardigans – with style:
- Layer, layer, layer! Though you can wear practically anything with cardigans, try to layer them over a piece like a bold print silk shirt for an unexpected touch of luxury. One of our editors also favors layering a short-sleeved cardigan over long-sleeved tees or blouses for a more playful approach.
- Belt it! A belt, whether it’s thin or wide, brings freshness to the look and also can help accentuate the tiniest part of your waist, thereby playing up curves. Patent leather or metallic belts will give it a splash of fun.
- Jewelry is a great way to jazz up a basic cardigan, especially since big jewelry is “in” this season. You can also try using a bright scarf for an instant addition of color and/or pattern.
- Pick up a classic fisherman’s cardigan because it will work season after season. For a cozy, casual look, choose an over-sized piece that will pair perfectly with jeans and boots. Or for a more work-appropriate look, belt it over a slim pencil skirt and round-toe pumps.
- Going on a trip? A thin or loosely knitted (think chic crochet, gossamer-thin silk, etc.) can also work as a fab cover up after taking a dip in the ocean.
- Trick the eye – again, by using layering techniques. Try a thin cardigan (over a cami) with a blazer to get the look of the vest without much effort. The overall look is pretty and sophisticated – AND you’ll stay warm!
Have any tips of your own? Please share! We’d love to hear your thoughts.
Photo Credit: J. Crew