Beauty, Makeup, NailsMaterial Girl For Fall

essie_material_girl.jpgNow that the weather is finally cooling, I’m trying to retire all my more sheer and bright nail polish colors in favor of darker, richer shades. I just tried Essie’s Material Girl, described as “plums steeped in burgundy.” The color is warm, rich, and so shiny–I love it! The deep burgundy shade will contrast well with most skin tones and the dark plum tone really makes it stand out.

I’m also trying to find the perfect black-purple shade–OPI’s Lincoln Park After Dark was dark, but a bit too black and not purple enough for me. What are some of your fall classic colors? Feel free to share your tips with us in the comments below!

1. S.  |  1 November 2007 at 10:30 AM

One polish that turned out more purply than black as expected was MAC’s Wildfire from the Smoke Signals collection, although it was described as a “black with red pearl”. It’s one of my favourites for the season although it’s unfortunately sold out on the website.

2. Laura  |  1 November 2007 at 12:13 PM

Have you tried OPI’s “Black Tie Optional”? The first coat looks like it will be gray, but with another coat or two it is definitely more on the purple side with just a touch of shimmer.

3. Serena  |  1 November 2007 at 2:06 PM

My favorite purple-black nail polish is Elizabeth Arden’s “Kew Gardens Wine.” It looks pretty bright on their website, but it’s much darker in real life. I picked it up at Ulta. It’s fantastic!

4. Jill W  |  1 November 2007 at 4:28 PM

My Favorite is OPI’s Romeo and Juliet – its the perfect dark red with specs of gold. So pretty!

5. ninabee  |  5 November 2007 at 8:55 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions!

6. Beatrice  |  5 November 2007 at 9:12 PM

Russian Navy by O.P.I is my current fall favorite. it’s not what you’re looking for but if you’re ever looking for the fine line between purple & navy, thats your answer.