Odile Gilbert, lead stylist for Aveda, created a modern, pretty look for the 3.1 Phillip Lim FA08 show. To achieve this style, hair must be: 1) straight 2) shine and 3) healthy. Parted on the side, a fourth of the hair is pulled back and pinned to the back with a slight twist. â€œI wanted to respect the identity of the clothing design. Phillipâ€™s designs are strong, yet gentle and soft, which I wanted to reflect in the look for hair,” said Gilbert. “We were going for something that made a statement but without artifice.â€ Below we have instructions on how to re-create the look:
- Step 1: Blow dry hair straight with Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother.
- Step 2: Create a left side part. Divide hair into four sections: one section on each side of the head and two sections divided horizontally at the back of the head.
- Step 3: Take a small piece of hair from the bottom section at the back of the head. Starting behind the right ear, make a small French braid across the back of the head running from left to right. The purpose of the braid is to create slight volume underneath and to serve as a base for the twist. Fasten braid with an elastic behind the left ear.
- Step 4: Flat iron the rest of the bottom, top and side sections of hair.
- Step 5: Take the left-side section of hair and press it flat to the head, guiding it behind the ear. Secure with 2 bobby pins and spray with Air Control Hair Spray to eliminate flyaways.
- Step 6: Fasten top section of hair out of the way with a clip. Repeat previous step with a similar-sized section of hair on the right side of the head.
- Step 7: Release hair from the top of the head and comb to the right side, sealing flyaways with Air Control Hair Spray.
- Step 8: Gather hair to the right side, as if to put into a ponytail. Slightly twist the hair and bring it over to the left side of the head, securing in place with bobby pins. The braid will serve as an anchor to help secure the hair.
- Step 9: Finish with Air Control Hair Spray.
Photo credit: Jon Gurinsky for Aveda.