Beauty, MakeupPretty Lips in Pink

There are 2 makeup trends that you will see over and over again this spring: neutrals and pinks. Luckily, these are trends that you can take off the runway and put into your makeup bag. However, though these are natural and pretty colors, it is still difficult to find those shades that don’t look too bright/ crazy or wash you out. In the next few weeks, I’ll be sharing with you some of my top finds in the wide range of pink and neutral products – starting with the 2 colors that I used to produce the sparkly pink lip you see above.

I have warm, fair skin with yellow undertones, but I feel like these colors would be universally flattering for fairer complexions, though perhaps a little too light for darker skinned beauties. For them, I would suggest something that packs in a little more pigment.

It’s no surprise that I started off by going straight to Prescriptives and MAC — 2 brands famous for their spot makeup.

I started off by applying Prescriptives’ Colorscope Lipstick in Pink Fizz which they describe as a “vivid pink with gold shimmer.” This is accurate though I feel like the product gives off more of a frost than a shimmer. My favorite part besides the color is that it has a gorgeous rose scent. I don’t know what they put in there, but its the most refreshing floral scent I’ve ever experienced in a makeup product (and I am usually not even a fan of rose). The texture is also light, not too creamy and doesn’t dry you out at all.

To top off my lipstick, I used a new gloss from MAC’s limited edition Fafi collection: Lipglass in Cult Fave. And I have just joined that cult. This gloss on its own is described as a “blue mid-tone pink with a white pearl” and it’s what produces that noticeable shimmer you see in the picture. It is pretty used simply on its own, but it is a much cooler shade and a little trickier to pull off with my skin tone. Coupled with the Prescriptives lipstick however, it brings out the vibrancy of the pink while adding a dimensional pop.

I put these on before I went out for the evening. A few hours and 4 glasses of wine later, my lips still retained the same color as when I started.

1. ninabee  |  18 February 2008 at 12:41 PM

Lovely lips! My favorite pink lip gloss by Shiseido, in G4 Petal Pink. It’s more shimmery and sheer, so not frosty at all. Suuuuper pretty :)

2. Barret  |  18 February 2008 at 1:39 PM

Neutral and pinks are the only shades i feel works with my coloring…looking forward to seeing some recommendations.

3. Lilan  |  18 February 2008 at 6:35 PM

Love the shimmer in the lip color today! I enjoy nudes and glossy pinks for the most part, with a little color sprinkled in here and there. Looking forward to the rest of your reviews!

Happy Monday!

4. Laura  |  18 February 2008 at 10:11 PM

Love the look! I should definitely try it, it looks like a refreshing change from the bright reds of recent years or whatever the heck brownish colors I’ve got sitting in my makeup box. Oh and for a drugstore buy, get Neutrogena MoistureShine Soothing Lipsheers in Fresh Rose.

The problem with living in the middle of nowhere is that you have to get by on drugstore products since the nearest place that carries MAC is in Syracuse

5. Joan  |  19 February 2008 at 6:48 AM

What do you think about the new Lancome Pixel Pink that I see written about, that will be a LE exclusive to NM and the Lancome site?

6. perfumed  |  19 February 2008 at 7:11 AM

I actually haven’t tried the new Pixel Pink.. but from what I see- it seems like it might be a little too blue/cool for my skin tone. I’ve heard pretty positive results though from other ladies- would love to hear what you think if you try it. And yes, I think it is an exclusive :)