We came across this photo of Keira Knightley at the premiere of her latest film, The Edge of Love, and wanted to know how to get her earthy, yet romantic look.
We asked Carissa Paserella, a professional makeup artist who has over 12 years of experience, to tell us more about Keira’s look. (Make sure to check out her blog called Hooked On Beauty, where she dishes out a ton of useful advice!) Carissa is also a natural beauty, so she’s absolutely the perfect person to break down this look. “Keira Knightley embodies the best in what I call ‘Natural Chic,’ which is basically using neutral, brown and earthy tones with just a kick of liner for a beautifully natural and not overdone evening look,” says Carissa. Below, she elaborates further with step-by-step directions and product recommendations:
1) First off, take a page from Knightley’s handbook of limited sun exposure so this porcelain skin is possible. Use a tinted moisturizer to cover unevenness and block the sun at the same time. Carissa likes Jane Iredale’s Dream Tint.
2) Start the eyes off with a shimmering copper like Stila’s Golightly, and sweep it from the lash line up to just beyond the natural crease. Take a flesh toned matte shadow and sweep it along the brow bone meeting the copper color and blending to create a seamless effect.
3) Use a black eyeliner that doesn’t budge like Bobbi Brown’s Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner in Black Ink to create a fine line all the way around the upper and lower lash line meeting in the inner corners.
4) Use the copper shadow to smudge color just below the black line on the lower lash line for a perfect smoldering eye.
5) Stila’s Convertible Color for lip and cheek is the perfect product for a matching lip and cheek like the one shown. Peony is a great medium pink – just blend onto cheeks and dab the rest on your lips and you’re ready to go.