A couple months ago, Lucy Liu went to a charity benefit, from which we spotted photos of her gorgeous updo. We thought it was the perfectly chic, undone chignon that looked both effortless and playful. Naturally, we wanted to know how to get this look for ourselves!
We turned to Lea Journo, stylist/ eponymous salon owner, for advice. Originally from Paris, she’s worked with brands like L’Oreal, Gaultier, Yoshi Yamomoto, Alexandre de Paris and Sergio Bossi. Today, Beverly Hills is her home base, where she works on the locks of A-listers like Brad Pitt, Orlando Bloom, Emily Mortimer and Kate Bosworth. Thus, she naturally knows all about how to create sophisticated updos like Lucy Liu’s. “This style is easiest to create a day or two after shampooing, as hair is slippery and more difficult to style right after it’s been shampooed and conditioned,” says Lea. Here are her step-by-step tips on how to re-create this look:
TOOLS YOU’LL NEED:
- Bobby pins
- Elastic hair tie
- Flat brush
- Soft brush
- Large barrel curling iron
- Styling product
- Hair spray, light and strong
2) Take a comb and part hair to the side.
3) Brush hair smoothly back into a neat side ponytail (with the flat brush) on the same side the hair is parted and secure with an elastic hair tie.
4) Spritz some light hold hairspray on hands and sweep through the hair to the end of the ponytail.
5) Part the ponytail into three sections and tease each one with the comb.
6) Gently use the soft brush to smooth the top of the ponytail.
7) Spritz some light hold hairspray between each of the three parts. Wait 30 seconds and curl each part with a large barrel curling iron.
8) Gently use the soft brush or even your hands to sweep and pin each portion of the of the ponytail, going from right to left, away from the neck, creating a circle-like shape.
9) Spritz with a light hairspray and securely pin down the last section, especially if you plan to dance.
10) To make the look appear undone, use a comb to gently pull some pieces of hair out and you’ll have hair that looks like Lucy’s – a wavy updo that looks sexily “undone.”
11) Mist strong hold hair spray all over your do.
12) You can add a personal statement to this hair style by adding your favorite pin or go for a more natural look by adding an exotic flower like Lucy.