Beauty, Celebrities, HairHow To: Get Blake Lively’s Grecian Updo

Gossip Girl is back – and we seriously couldn’t be happier! Aside from the entertaining drama, we’re always watching for the fashion and beauty, too! Last Monday, we couldn’t stop staring at Blake Lively’s gorgeous updo and decided that we needed to know how to get Serena’s look.

We turned to the fabulous stylist Ricardo Rojas, the founder of Ricardo Rajos Hair Studio, for advice. He’s worked with some of the most notable fashion brands, including: Jean Paul Gaultier, John Galliano, Chanel, Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan, Dolce & Gabbana, and more. His list of celebrity clientele? Even more impressive since it includes Liv Tyler, Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Heidi Klum, Amber Valetta, Gisele Bündchen, Natasha Bedingfield, and Carmen Kass — to name a few. (He was also Donatella Versace’s personal stylist before opening his own salon.) We thought he’d be the perfect stylist to tell us how to get Blake’s sophisticated, glam style.

“Without a doubt, from the hair to the dress, the entire look is Grecian Goddess with a modern twist,” says Rojas. “Serena’s hair looks very done and polished, yet fun and effortless at the same time.” He’s kindly provided step-by-step instructions and product recommendations, so you can re-create this look at home…just in time for tonight’s new episode!

TOOLS YOU’LL NEED:

DIRECTIONS:

1. Prepare hair to style. Day-old hair is the best to work with because it holds an up ‘do much better than hair that is freshly washed.

2. Take straightened locks and begin by adding volume and texture. Apply Phytovolume Actif Maximizing Volume Spray throughout hair to give roots a slight lift and this will also help it to hold the curl.

3. Then, with a medium barrel curling iron (1.5 inches), grab small bunches of hair and curl from root to tip.

4. When all of your hair is curled, make sure the curls hold by spraying a light hold hair spray such as Bumble and Bumble Does it All Styling Spray to set everything and keep curls in tact.

5. Next, gently run fingers through hair to loosen curls a bit – this will allow movement and not leave hair looking overstyled.

6. Finish the preparation process by applying Kerestase Nutrive Lumiere Nutri-Sculpt to smooth any fly-aways and add shine.

7. Tuck hair back in low chignon and loosely bobby pin curls up.

8. Then strategically place a double strand metallic headband and give hair one more spritz of hairspray. Serena’s Grecian Goddess look is now complete!

For more information, visit www.ricardorojashair.com or stop by the NYC salon!

Source

1. perfumed  |  8 September 2008 at 6:43 AM

loved this look in the eppy!! loved her oscar de la renta dress

2. Ellen Hart  |  8 September 2008 at 11:47 AM

Blake Lovely! Looks like a great updo for a wedding.

3. Rebecca  |  8 September 2008 at 8:09 PM

He left out the part about having someone else’s arms to “loosely bobby pin” the curls to the back of your head. And what about the braids?

4. Aleksandra  |  12 October 2008 at 2:06 PM

Oh, god do I love Blake.
    That updo made my breath stall when I saw it.

5. kari  |  21 November 2008 at 1:13 PM

I think he also forgot to mention the extra pair of $150 an hour stylista hands that’ll do the job for you. But it’s nice to think we can attempt to copy this at home. Loved her look!

6. AS  |  23 November 2008 at 4:58 PM

I have really long curly hair and have actually done this ‘do at home :) It helps if your hair is a couple inches past your shoulder and will take curls. It’s also not that difficult with pinning the curls up with bobby pins either. My hair’s over 2 feet long okay people, I know what I’m talking about!

7. Sian  |  20 April 2009 at 8:20 AM

Does anyone know where the headband is from? I read it was a designer called isaac mizrahi but I cannot find any website I can order it from in the UK. I would love to copy this look for my wedding!

8. amelia  |  23 March 2010 at 3:16 AM

im wanting to do this for my formal and he completely forgot the bit about the braid :(

9. Lola  |  13 August 2011 at 7:53 AM

The braid is most likely a hairpiece

10. Shelli  |  4 September 2014 at 2:02 AM

Aw, this was an exceptionally nice post. Taking the time
    and actual effort to create a superb article… but what can I say… I hesitate a whole lot and never seem to get anything done.

my web-site: Mobile Notary

11. Cassandra  |  24 September 2014 at 7:28 PM

It’s very easy to find out any topic on web as compared
    to books, as I found this post at this web site.

my web-site … Vegas Party Bus