Holiday meals that are delicious, easy to cook, and healthy? This might sound too good to be true, but it’s entirely possible for you to create. I asked Jodi Citrin, Melissa Gibson, and Katie Nuanes, the authors of The Little Black Apron: A Single Girl’s Guide to Cooking with Style and Grace, for some ideas. Their book is a great resource for women like me who are not too handy in the kitchen, but still want to learn how to make healthy, fresh meals. The ladies came up with 3 different recipes to take you straight through the holidays with ease, and I’ll be sharing them with you each month.
First up is the Gingersnap & Pumpkin Parfait, a yummy, light dessert that you can serve at a Halloween party or any upcoming holiday festivities. I whipped this up one night for my boyfriend and we both enjoyed it! Keep reading for the recipe!
Ingredients (serves 10):
- 2 1/2 cups canned organic pumpkin puree
- 2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2/3 cups sugar or Splenda
- 2 1/2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies (small pieces, not crumbs)
- 5 cups non-fat vanilla pudding
- Non-fat whipped topping
- In a bowl, combine pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and sugar or Splenda
- Place half of the crushed gingersnap cookies into the bottoms of 10 clear decorative glasses, such as martini glasses. Then, top each with half of the pudding, and top that with half of the pumpkin mixture. Repeat layering with the remaining gingersnap cookies, vanilla pudding, and pumpkin.
- Top each serving with a dollop of whipped topping.
Voila! This is a delicious dessert that you and any guest would enjoy. I served this in a regular glass, but it would look so cute in a martini glass. Try this recipe and let us know what you think. Thanks to Jodi, Melissa, and Katie! You can find out more about them at thelittleblackapron.com, or pick up a copy of The Little Black Apron and start cooking healthy for yourself!