Celebrities, Denim & Jeans, Fashion, ObsessionsDivine Rights of Denim

Do you remember the time when denim cost less than $100? Ahh, how I long for the days…especially since denim is such an integral part of my wardrobe. Most California gals get my denim love (sorry East Coast-ers, but I’m not sure if you’ll fully understand until you live here). It’s just so practical, comfortable and really, versatile for where I live. Luckily, I have another TDO editor, Stacey (aka productwhore), who not only understands my love for denim, but also shares it. (She might be more obsessed than I am.)

I recently tried Divine Rights of Denim, a new line that just launched this past spring/ summer season – but has already developed a celebrity following that includes Lauren Conrad, Audrina Patridge and Jessica Alba. But what’s so special about this denim brand? None of the pants from the line top $100. In fact, they average between $58-$78. Because of this, I was skeptical of the quality. It’s been a LONG while since I’ve bought a quality pair of jeans for under $100 (excluding sales). However, I’m totally loving these and in fact, might become my go-to brand, especially when it comes to skinny jeans.

The brand has really cute names for their various styles – from “Sensuality” to “Envy.” I tried a pair of the “Lust” jeans, which are skinny jeans that somehow keep you looking lean. The slim cut is quite wonderful and the fabric has just the right amount of give so you can stay comfortable. The rinses are classic, dark washes that you’ll never get tired of. The uniquely designed back pockets are strategically placed to give your derriere a bit of lift, without overdoing it. The most amazing part about the line is that the quality is definitely on par with some of the denim heavyhitters out there right now. (I won’t name names, but they definitely match up to many of the brands that fill in my closet!) The fabric has a medium weight, but is still quite soft. You can bet that I’ll be wearing my pair all season long with everything – and when they wear out, I’ll be ordering another pair!

Divine Rights of Denim is available at Dillards.com and other select retailers. Trust me, these are every bit as good as your $200+ pair. Get yourself a pair and try them out!icon

1. Pinky  |  6 November 2008 at 11:54 AM

I am an East-coaster who lives in denim. I would be lost w/o it except in the summer maybe =)

Thank you for the review, I am always looking for a great pair of jeans and I refuse to pay over $75 for a pair so I will certainly look into “Diving Rights of Denim”

2. Lindsay  |  6 November 2008 at 5:21 PM

Where do you find them?! So excited to try!

3. thedailyobsession  |  6 November 2008 at 6:13 PM

The quality is fantastic! They are available at Dillards! (See link above.)

4. Katee  |  7 November 2008 at 6:55 AM

I am a California but I acutally live in my black Lululemon pants, jeans for me are for dress up :)

5. Selby Nippert  |  7 November 2008 at 8:49 AM

Dear TDO,

Like Pinky, I do not live on the west coast, or even the east coast for that matter. I am a midwesterner. I worry that you are too quick to judge what we on the other sides consider fashionable. We, too, are up on the latest denim fashions thanks to a little thing called social media, a medium that you are currently using. These posts reach all coats, so be careful about what you say.

6. ninabee  |  7 November 2008 at 9:02 AM

Hi Selby,

We have editors from coast to coast at TDO–I’m a midwesterner myself, having moved to Chicago last year. We would NEVER imply that some people are more fashionable than others! Nowhere in this post does it say that. I think our LA-based editor just meant that since the weather there is temperate year-round, it’s convenient to wear denim which has built her obsession.

7. thedailyobsession  |  7 November 2008 at 9:41 AM

Hi Selby & Pinky – I did mean exactly what Nina explained regarding the weather and how people wear it year-round, for almost any occasion/activity. Also, denim is a huge part of the culture of Los Angeles, unlike many other cities – simply because contemporary denim had its rebirth in LA and there are so many denim lines based here.

8. heather  |  12 November 2008 at 7:55 AM

I was so excited to try these jeans but can’t find them anywhere!?! Dillards online says they have no more of the lust jeans… where else can i purchase them? it shouldn’t be this hard for a customer to buy them!

9. thedailyobsession  |  12 November 2008 at 10:29 AM

Hi Heather – I would give Dillard’s customer service a ring to see if they can help. We also found them at CharlotteRusse.com.

10. Hip Momma Luvs Blu  |  15 November 2008 at 4:43 AM

VonMaur.com have 2 pair DRD jeans on their site and if you go to the link above their skinny jean Izra is on sale for $46, down from $70. Plus, shipping and even gift wrap is always free! For those of you not familiar with Von Maur, it is a department store, but it’s not everywhere. It’s kind of a hidden gem because while everything that have isn’t super-fashion-forward (some targeted to an older demo), you can really find some fab items and sweet finds. (Betsey Johnson earrings to give as Christmas gifts…on sale for $10, 3 pack Baby Juicy Couture socks, $9.. I’ve done well through them a few times.

And about the denim war..I too in the past few years have had to spend a lot to find quality and flattering denim..True Religion, Grey Ant, Paper Denim & Cloth. I guess the point I am getting at is that I’m still in a ‘transition’ stage right now after having my baby a few months ago, and my original faves are still a little snug. As the colder weather approaches and my knee boots call my name, I have to break down and buy at least one new pair..but I just don’t want to go out and buy a bunch of larger sizes when I am trying to get back to my original size, you know? But all in all, and this is just me personally, I’ve lived in Nyc for 4 years and my wardrobe consisted mostly of dresses and long sweaters w/ leggings.

Hope the link provided will do some of you good.. I’m just rambling this morning.. xox

11. Melissa Santana  |  1 January 2009 at 8:39 PM

The jeans are now available at Arden B, both in the store and online. We carry all the styles and they really fit great! I own 1 of each style!!

12. Denim Junkie  |  12 January 2009 at 9:29 AM

These jeans are now available at Shop ECBC online boutique. They carry quite a few styles and many sizes!!!

13. Gina  |  28 January 2009 at 11:23 PM

Also available at bloomingdale’s. They have exclusive washes. I’m in love!

14. Tristen  |  24 April 2009 at 12:21 PM

Great article. With jeans priced from $12.00 for a pair of Wranglers to $200.00 for designer jeans and now designer jean stores are opening up from Las Vegas to New York, looks like they are here to stay. Who would ever think the blue jean would get so popular when Strauss started his business?