New Year’s Eve is the perfect time to get ultra glammed up and have some fun with it! You want your look to be really stunning. But you also don’t want it to be difficult to maintain and to last since you’ll be ringing in the New Year at your party of choice – most likely with no more than a small clutch (that doesn’t leave room for an arsenal of makeup for touch ups). We loved Amy Adam’s retro-inspired look (pictured left) that looks alluring, but not too intimidating to replicate. With a few days left to practice, we know that you’ll be able to rock this look out!
To help guide you through the process, we turned to Farah Reid, the resident makeup artist at Blow, The New York Blow Dry Bar, for her tips. “It’s super easy to re-create this retro glam look at home,” says Farah. Click behind the cut for her step-by-step instructions on how to get this look:
1. Use a foundation and powder that has slightly more coverage.
2. Then choose a peachy blush, or bronzer to lightly apply at the hollows and apples of the cheeks.
3. As for eyes, apply a soft shimmer taupe eye shadow with an angle brush lightly under the eye, as well as on the lash line of the upper eyebrows. Eyebrows are strong in retro glam looks, so it is important to color them in with an angled eyebrow brush and an eyebrow color that matches your eyebrow hair. This will gently extend the tail of the brow. Anastasia makes great natural looking brow shadows.
4. Curl your lashes; then apply mascara, using a little more than usual.
5. For the lips, the key to this look is a wine red lipstick (instead of a bright red) and it must be matte!
Plus, Farah’s kindly provided instructions on how to get Amy Adam’s stunning updo, too – just in case you want to re-create the entire look. Simple read below for Farah’s tips:
1. For the hair, simply set your hair in large hot rollers, rolling away from your face. Let them cool, and then take them out.
2. Brush out the curls with a Mason Pearson brush (or similar paddle brush).
3. Brush the hair as if you were putting it into a loose ponytail at the crown of your head, and twist into a little chignon. Pin into place.
4. Use Blow’s Beach Blow to provide texture and hold to set the waves and style into place.