With the holidays just around the corner, it’s the perfect time to learn a few new (beauty) moves and get glammed up for all those holiday parties. We took inspiration from Heidi Klum’s Emmys look, which is influenced by the 40’s. We loved how she transitioned between two looks: soft, controlled waves and an elegant ponytail. It’s really perfect for anyone who is hopping from one soiree to the next, but want to change up their look through the night.
Naturally, we had no idea how to replicate this look – but we called for help from Helena Faccenda, Klum’s incredibly talented personal hairstylist. “Veronica Lake inspired hair adds instant glamour to the holidays,” says Helena. She’s kindly provided step-by-step instructions so you can recreate the look!
DIRECTIONS: Part 1
- Little to no product is needed to create the look, other than a drop of serum, such as Kiehl’s Silk Groom to help reduce frizz.
- Blow out your hair with a blow dryer.
- Once dry, use a wide (about 1.5 inch) barrel curling iron, to curl each section of hair.
- Once the curls are set, use the blow dryer once again and blow about 60-70% of the curl out of your hair. This will give your hair a soft wave, leaving you with a clean, elegant look that’s ultra sophisticated.
- To top off the look, pull back one side of the hair and fasten with a jeweled barrette to finish off the holiday look. Editor’s Note: For some gorgeous options, we recommend stopping by the websites of JoomiNYC or Jennifer Behr.
TRANSFORMATION: Part 2
- This look can also transition into a sophisticated ponytail with a few more easy steps. After the curls are blow dried, pull hair back into a low, loose ponytail.
- Taking hair underneath the nape of your neck, pull the pieces in an outward direction so the top crown of your hair has volume.
- Then, wrap a small section of hair around the hair elastic, pinning to the top of the ponytail so it covers the hair elastic while also securing the bump and maintaining an elegant, easy-to-do look.