Beauty, Hair, ObsessionsAir Wave

If you were to ask me to name my favorite styling tool – not just of the moment, but maybe ever – I would, without missing a beat, tell you it’s the  Remington Emi Air Wave, which has an attachment at the end of their blow dryer that helps to create loose, wavy hair a la  Gisele Bundchen and Blake Lively. This product is new, but the concept is so simple and elegant that I wonder why no one else has come out with one before.

The makers of the Air Wave probably assumed (correctly) that even if their consumers did have the skills of a professional hair stylist, they don’t always have the time/ effort/ products/ money it takes to wrangle with a curling iron.  I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t have styling skills, but this Air Wave can be used by anyone who can hold a blow dryer still because it does 100% of the work for you and creates beautiful, carefree waves and curls every time.

The Air Wave is a funnel-like attachment that forces the air from the blow dryer out in such a way that it creates a tornado effect inside the funnel and therefore, spinning and twisting your hair around itself – the same way that a stylist does with his finger.  You can control the size of your waves by either putting in smaller sections (1 in.) or larger sections.  The heat not only helps set the style, but dries your hair as well, making this one of the most useful multi-taskers in hair styling history.  I’m spoiled by using a T3 as my standard dryer and being used to a 5 minute blow dry from start to finish.  The Remington doesn’t have the same technology as the T3, but the tornado effects wrings out your hair and thereby drastically reduces drying time. In 10-15 minutes not only do you get your hair from just showered to dry, you also get such effortless waves that would make Blake Lively jealous. Every. Single. Time.

Naturally I have thick and straight hair (see here, though that is after a blow out), but I’ve heard reports from my friends that this works just as well on curly haired ladies.  So far, I’ve had this for just over a couple of weeks and I’ve already converted four of my friends.  They are all believers.  And I love that it’s accessible for everyone.  The attachment and the Remington blow dryer is available for only $30 at your local drugstore or drugstore.com.iconicon

Edit: Below is a picture of me after I Air Waved my hair, using only the Remington as well as b&b lotion.  Make sure to use some styling product in your damp hair before you start- it will help you retain the style.  I usually first put 1in sections in and then put them in again in thicker chunks to finish off.  Dry your roots first and make sure your hair is completely dry and don’t forget to shake out your twists!

1. krissy  |  25 January 2009 at 7:36 AM

WOW! that sounds really amazing and for ONLY 30 dollars! I’ll definitely check this out! But does it only work on people with naturally straight her or does it work on curly hair as well?

2. ninabee  |  26 January 2009 at 8:58 AM

i’m completely helpless with a curling iron, so this is great to read about! i’m totally getting one 😀

3. Melissa  |  26 January 2009 at 5:59 PM

I just bought one based on the recommendation. Thanks! What’s the T3 though – that looks interesting too.

4. perfumed  |  26 January 2009 at 9:43 PM

Hi Melissa, You will enjoy it! Let me know 🙂 the T3 is a professional blow dryer often used in Salons that can cut drying time by 70%. However, they typically set you back 150-400 bucks.

5. Sandy  |  26 January 2009 at 9:52 PM

Could I get a pic of what your hair texture is naturally like?

It looks great btw.

6. perfumed  |  26 January 2009 at 10:06 PM

sure! http://thedailyobsession.net/2009/01/louis-vuitton-stephen-sprouse-launch/

This is my hair AFTER a blowout but still way more like what it is naturally like (thick and straight) than after using the Airwave.

7. Sara  |  3 August 2009 at 9:48 PM

Can you use the Air Wave to dry your roots?…or do you have to use a different blow dryer for that?

8. hannah borja  |  10 November 2009 at 7:13 AM

it works really good! i got it last night from a local winners for 20 and from wet hair it comes out interlocked curls then separate the hair and it turn wavy!im inlove with this thing!i have naturally straight hair and it work super fine!takes me the same time to just blowdry my hair!

9. sophie  |  27 April 2010 at 11:37 AM

All I can say is THANK YOU! This hair dryer has become my favorite beauty tool as well. I can’t stop recommending it! I get so many compliments when I use it. 🙂

10. vanessa  |  10 July 2010 at 3:33 PM

where can i buy that hairdryer. i tried amazon,walmart and target. cant find it.

11. kate  |  20 August 2010 at 2:00 PM

This seems fabulous. But do you think it will work on african american permed hair?

12. mila  |  15 March 2012 at 3:27 PM

thanks for the info, I personally prefer the Karmin Salon Pro Professional Hair Dryer which is the best one I’ve tried and it keeps my hair smooth, shiny and with volume. 😀