‘Tis the season for swimwear and sandals galore! My latest inspiration: Bohemian chic meets African beach safari. Here are a few of my latest summer must-haves, all of which remind me of vacationing to an exotic destination. Wear them individually with jeans or all together!
1) As evidenced by the fact that I kept staring at mine while in line at the post office, I’m happy to report that my new single long Bead for Life necklace is my go-to jewelry item for the summer. Not only is it fun to look at, it’s the perfect all-purpose accessory worn alone or stacked with other colorful necklaces. I wear mine with little black dresses or printed tees and dark wide-leg jeans. Bead for Life necklaces, bracelets and earrings are available for $10-$30 at Bead for Life’s online store. The organization hopes to eradicate extreme poverty through linking concerned world citizens to Ugandan women who make beads from colorful, recycled paper. (You can also make and sell your own jewelry with their beads by hosting a bead party!)
2) Hello, exotic water goddess! This hand-made silk sarong by celebrity style guru Lotta Stensson (Angelina Jolie, Beyonce and Madonna are all fans) is so feminine and unbelievably gorgeous, it will make your summer! Slightly sheer, you can wear it over your swimsuit as a cover-up or wrap it up and wear it as a scarf.
3) Talk about a safari: I first fell in love with these yellow pony-hair, zebra-beaded sandals by Sam Edelman but now I feel must have them in every shade, especially in leopard! My favorite feature is the little peep heel below the zip-up panel in the back – tres sexy. I was able to find them at Nordstrom.com, but lately I prefer shoe haven Heels.com (they have videos of a model walking in the shoes to help you visualize your purchase).
4) Formerly a men’s surf brand, Toes on the Nose has debuted a super-cute Spring/Summer ’09 swimwear line for women (Breeze and Paradise lines, pictured). I recently tested out their Poko & Swiss line of suits on yet another surf trip and I was very impressed! The bikinis offer the coverage and thickness needed to survive a day of surfing (they don’t fall off so easily when a wave hits you), yet every suit is stylish enough for a day of sunning poolside at a resort. You can even get a coordinating rash guard or sundress/coverup to coordinate with most suits, and nearly every piece is under $100. My travel recommendation: Get your hands on a reversible suit (like the orchid/plum one pictured); you’ll get two suits in one!
5) I love a good “croc” bag. My first one was a cute little teal shopper from Dooney & Bourke. But really, you can never go wrong with a big, metallic tote like the Yves Saint Laurent Large Croco ‘Raspail’ Embossed Patent Leather Tote; it’s always in style. The good news is this particular version is on Bagborroworsteal.com for $51 a week. The bad news is it’s so hot it’s wait-listed. (But I bring this up anyway because it’s within reach if you want to try it out for a weekend getaway.) Tip: There’s also a red one available for $899 at Overstock.com … for now!