Skinny denim really comes out of our closets when it starts to get chilly — from tucking into boots or pairing with flats. We had various editors – of different heights and body types – test out a handful of denim brands and styles. Here’s what they had to say:
- 7 for All Mankind Roxanne Skinny – The Roxanne Skinny might be the universal flattering skinny jean. These fit true to size and are super soft to the touch. I did have to get them altered because the inseam was too long for me (I’m on the more petite side), but that’s the case for most jeans for me. With just the right amount of give while still skimming the leg, it’s slimming and comfortable. However, because of that, these aren’t the perfect jeans to tuck into boots because there will be a bit of bunching at the ankles making it less comfortable. However, they are great for flats and heels!
- Levi’s 421 Jean – I loved these! They are ultra affordable (well under $100). Though the fabric isn’t the softest, they do soften with washing and in a way, that makes them more durable. They come in a variety of inseams (short, regular, long, etc.) so you can find a pair that’s perfect for your height. (Score for no alterations!) The washes were a bit more faded, which was a departure for me – but they did it right. No crazy fading, just very natural-looking. The back pockets are placed perfectly to give your behind a bit of lift, if you need it. They skim the leg and are just so flattering. This has been the pair that I reach for over and over!
- Nudie Jeans Tight Long John in Denim Stretch – I had to size up as Nudie Jeans fit extremely true to size, but I love these. They have a long, slimming silhouette, and the 30″ inseam was actually great even for my petite height. The Denim Stretch wash is a dark, classic wash that will go with pretty much any top in your closet. Plus, there is a fairly good amount of stretch as well – so it has that painted on look without the painted on feel. My calves are more muscular than most, but these didn’t feel uncomfortable, so I’m a fan for sure.
- Charlotte Russe Refuge Opal Skinny Jeans – When it comes to skinny jeans, getting them hemmed can alter their intended fit – which presents an issue for shorter gals like me. What’s great about Refuge Jeans is that they are affordable and come in a short length, perfect for petite ladies! They feel and look like designer jeans, without the designer price tag. I sized up here as well, since they run on junior (1, 3, 5, 7, etc.) sizing. The size 5 in the short length was perfect on me! The Opal style has a bit of stretch so they were comfy, too. I’ve been wearing them with a breezy top and flip-flops for a casual, yet polished look.
- J Brand 910 Skinny Low-Rise in Miner – With their 29″ inseam, these J Brands are the perfect length for me. They fit like a dream and are as close to a skinny, legging-like fit as you’ll get. I love wearing these with my over-the-knee boots since there’s minimal folding involved, and taller women will find these perfect for tucking into boots. J Brand offers the 910 in a variety of washes, so you’re bound to find one you like. I like Miner since it’s a nice, pigmented blue.
- Citizens of Humanity Avedon Skinny Jean – The fabric for these jeans are insanely soft. Like “want to rub your hands along these all day” soft. Super stretchy, these imitate the fit of leggings and are perfect for tucking into boots. The construction of the fabric of these has some new advanced technology, so they’re made to stretch with you – without stretching out. Because they’re so stretchy, I found that I didn’t need to alter them despite the longer inseam. They definitely cling onto your legs, so be secure in how you look or perhaps pair them with a tunic!
Have suggestions on what works for you? Let us know and share with everyone else!