Fitness & HealthThe Wonder That is Tracy Anderson

Maybe you are like me, and have been hearing for months the buzz about Tracy Anderson, the trainer responsible for Madonna’s sinewy arms and Gwyneth’s incredible legs. I’ve read her coverage on GOOP, I’ve done the videos from when she was featured on Daily Candy, but I haven’t bought a home work out video (yet). Despite the positive media coverage, I’ve been honestly a little skeptical about whether it was ever possible for a non-celebrity to get the red-carpet worthy results that she promises using her methods, since they seem a little renegade and different from others. For example, she’s mentioned before that she doesn’t believe in a few things (“Running–it will give you a bad butt!”) and spinning (purported to give a girl a man’s thighs) that have made me raise an eyebrow of disbelief and almost swear off the treadmill and exercise bikes for life.

This W magazine article, which I found through the Lancome Blog, seems like the best real, non-celebrity endorsement of her services so far. W magazine editor, Jamie Rosen, worked out with the celebrity trainer for 6 weeks, and showcases her experience, the diet, the exercises, and most importantly, the results! As to be expected, when you are working out 6 days a week for 6 weeks at a time and following the ideal healthy diet, you will see results and Jamie did. But the interesting thing is that although Jamie didn’t lose much weight (about 4 lbs), she lost a lot of mass over her whole body (a total of 40 inches, with 4 inches alone just from her hips!)

Jamie Rosen has a similar body type to me (petite and curvy) so the before and after photos/measurements were incredible and particularly inspirational. Since a membership to the Tracy Anderson Studio is about $900 a month, I probably won’t be venturing there on my own anytime soon but the article is an interesting read nonetheless for summer work out motivation. Also check out Tracy’s recommended workout playlist!

1. kristina  |  18 June 2010 at 7:20 AM

I bought her post pregnancy workout after I had my son last fall and holy cow is it hard! She gives easier versions of alot of her exercises but I was still sore the next day after only doing half of the program. You need to be in pretty good shape already to be able to follow her workouts.

2. Kathleen  |  18 June 2010 at 8:03 AM

Wow–are most of her workouts dance related? Just out of curiosity, which one did you buy?

3. Charli  |  18 June 2010 at 10:53 AM

I tried several of her DVD workouts (Mat, Dance Cardio and Post-Pregnancy — my workout buddy is obsessed!). They are dance-ish so they can be hard to follow, but they’re very mellow and they work SO well. Totally had me in kickass shape for my bachelorette party last year, and I got tons of compliments on my arms. Highly recommend!

4. Nina  |  19 June 2010 at 12:15 PM

The before and after pictures of her waist are CRAZY! I’d love to get results like that. To be fair, she was already fairly skinny to begin with though.

I have the Mat DVD but haven’t used it in a while. I should get back into it!

5. Lily Bart  |  21 June 2010 at 2:19 PM

I used a couple of the segments I found online (from GOOP, youtube, Daily Candy) and pretty much instantly saw great results for my arms. “Long and thin,” my husband keeps saying. I finally got the mat and post-pregnancy workouts and think they both have their strengths. I just went to a wedding and the bride said to me on the receiving line, “Whatever you’re doing, it’s working.”

I would love to use those in-studio arm band system, but since I don’t have $900+/month I’ll settle for the DVDs.

THinking about getting her other DVDs to mix things up–though I’m a total spaz of a dancer.

I wasn’t heavy but the toning I’m seeing is pretty fab.

I’ve done pilates, yoga, Exhale, Physique 57 and Callanetics in studios. While I’m going to lay off the weights (I build muscle way too easily in my arms) for the arm routines, the results are way better/faster than other methods. Similar to Physique–but with Physique all those plies were making my thighs pop out. I’d often leave the studio with soreness only in my quads. Not with Tracy. I love what it’s doing for my legs–making them stronger and leaner but no freaky quad bulge. And my post-baby abs are looking pretty good. (Have been working on them for awhile, my son is two. Nothing got rid of that donut around the belly button till now.)

6. Cathy  |  27 November 2011 at 11:50 AM

$AuthorI love finding the info I was looking for, Great job
    At Home Workout Routines