Celebrities, FashionBehind the Seams (Not Dreams) of Inception

Over the weekend, I finally stopped being the last person on earth who hadn’t seen Inception, and saw a Sunday afternoon show with a few friends.  I’m relieved that I can finally join in on conversations about things like tokens and concepts like “dreaming within a dream.”   If you haven’t seen it yet, I completely recommend it.

But when leaving the movie theater I had one primary thought in my head and it wasn’t dream related.  It was, “Wow, the suit tailoring in this movie is impeccable.  Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the other men in this movie have some hot looks.”  Unfortunately, since I was with straight, non-metrosexual men, this was not a topic of interest (particularly my thoughts about the hotness of JGL’s looks as he bounded around in the hotel.)  I loved how each male character in the movie had a sharply defined look that expressed an individual personality, although everyone wore suits. After the jump, check out where you can get their suits and some more details about their looks.

Saito (Ken Watanabe) and Fischer (Cillian Murphy) being businessmen, had the most “Wall Street” look of the men, with Fischer’s double-breasted navy pinstripe and Saito’s cool, sophisticated palette of silver grays.  Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio) had a less corporate and more 20’s gangster look, with boxier shoulders and a less tapered body. But the guy whose style stole the show was Arthur (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), with his sharply tailored vests sans -suit-jacket, which was a perfect, modern dapper look for the youngest actor in the movie.  I liked how the costume designer, Jeffrey Kurland, played with the differences in texture and pattern, with the solid silks of the vests against the contrasting stripes and windowpane patterns of his button downs.  Jeffrey also gave him some of the most fashion-forward suit colors, like this sandy colored caramel color below, which even beautifully offset the black and white parquet floor of the hotel.

After doing some Google research, I found that one of my favorite men’s magazines, Esquire, had the details on where the suits came from, courtesy of its excellent Style Blog. The bad news is that you can’t purchase the suits anywhere, as they were all custom designed by Jeffrey Kurland, who bought and found all of the fabrics himself.  He used his custom tailor, Dennis Kim, and custom shirtmaker, Anto of Beverly Hills to make all of the looks.  I liked that his choice of costumes and suits also backed up the premise that the movie took place in the future, yet the viewer couldn’t exactly pinpoint when and how far.  The suits wore by the men weren’t indicative of a particular era or time period in fashion, which was a goal of Kurland, who stated that he tried to create a “corporate atmosphere that’s futuristic, but that you could not date.”  My hope is that along with the concept of dream-sharing, that the future also holds some serious haberdashery for women–isn’t it about time?

Source 1, 2, 3, 4

1. Diane G  |  25 September 2011 at 11:13 AM

Where is Dennis Kim tailor location in LA? My son would like a suit made for his wedding?

2. Madelaine  |  20 September 2014 at 7:07 PM

I’m not sure where you’re getting your info, but great topic.

I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.
    Thanks for excellent info I was looking for this information for my mission.

Also visit my blog post: google plus apple

3. Erkka  |  26 September 2014 at 3:01 PM

I don’t even understand how I finished up here, however I thought this put up
    used to bee good. I do not recognize who you’re but definitely you’re going to a well-known blogger when you aren’t already.
    Cheers!

?Lisätietoa: http://raisingpakistangroup.com/groups/sahkotupakka-uhka-tai-hyodyllisyys/

4. Tyyne  |  28 September 2014 at 10:33 AM

I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is
    written by him as no one else know such detailed about my problem.
    You’re incredible! Thanks!

?Tänne: http://mxel.com/elektronisk-cigarett/

5. Daniela  |  29 September 2014 at 3:31 PM

You can make added excel spreadsheets to track facts on recruits and clients even though holding an ongoing stock options of solution stock By taking a look at the screen shot to the right
    (mouse click to widen) from the press release offered by Chase, you will see a
    pattern In case you have more income in comparison with expenses, finances that surplus as benefits and
    emergency fund income While choosing a loan often be extra thorough in decreasing the loan quantity Does not anxious if you are
    having several poor factors including insolvency, foreclosures, arrears
    and bankruptcy, you are entitled without any stress I
    had 4 trash hand bags full of magnolia cones for your trash gentleman this week and my Southern Magnolia
    tree and it is surrounding area is beautiful and tidy once again Loan consolidations allow visitors to make merely single payment amount instead of numerous payments Severance pay out is pay out paid for an employee upon separation in the company,
    usually due to business downsizing Over the course of it’s
    participation given that August Last year it has averaged only 900 permanent
    modifications a month The primary interest rate just for this
    type of loan is actually higher, though the time among when the mortgage is applied for
    and when it’s paid back is quite a bit shorter No matter the possibility of approval, money
    creditors never study their past credit account You will have credit in your residence country, however is not a transferable enterprise and credit score in the US
    should be built from the soil up Observe Receivable ‘ A new
    debt tool held through the lender to provide as substantiation that
    a fair bit of money and also value of solutions were transferred or shipped to the borrower or customer, on the situation that the sum due might
    be paid with its adulthood date for any certain interest rates
    To be a condominium client, it is important that you comprehend the constraints and requirements which have
    been contained in most of these documents because they may impression your ability to secure a mortgage, in case you are considering
    a home that is guaranteed by Fannie Mae These information are confirmed and then promptly the total is actually deposited to your account This can be had from several government websites connected
    with the education unit, blog sites, discussion boards,
    even social media sites These are some of the most notable opportunity for paying back
    nursing jobs education financial loans Whomever can apply dwelling finance for many different reasons, for example, for design of property, for ext of the house, intended for house
    redevelopment, for purchase involving plot and also flat or even home,
    etc A gentleman’s wallet states that something with regards to his character, so select a wallet
    that may be fitting It may help in clearing up various monetary problems which require to be
    attained by individuals without any lack of education A person can utilize the revenue as per his
    or her own handiness and preference

my blog … payday instant loans

6. Suzette  |  1 October 2014 at 12:46 AM

I have been browsing onlkne more than 3 hours today,yet I never
    found any interesting article like yours. It is
    pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers
    made good content as you did, tthe net will be a lot more useful
    than ever before. get instant likes on instagram