Thanks everyone for participating in the American Express Savvy Shopper program and sharing your online tips for smart shopping! Below are some of our favorite tips to help guide you through your holiday shopping and be sure to check to see if you’re the winner after the cut!
Don’t buy shoes online that don’t fit right regardless of how gorgeous they are!
1. I bought a pair of red pointy shoes, size 5. I had not bought any shoes from this brand and when I received them they were too tight in the toes. I tried wearing them several times because other people said how gorgeous are those shoes! They are but I only can manage to wear these shoes for a short time before I am pulling them off. I have driven home barefooted because my feet have been killing me in these shoes. I should have sent them back before I wore them out. I have learnt to know the brand to know if it would fit me and if something does not fit comfortably send them back.
2. Purchased a pair of shoes half a size larger than I wear because I wanted them so badly, figured I could wear “extra” socks to make them fit. Bad idea. I was uncomfortable and my feet were suffocating.
3. Online I saw a picture of these custom embroidered silk slippers made by this lady at this tiny little shop in Shanghai. They were only available in China and really expensive. A family friend was going to China for business and I convinced him to go buy them for me and ship them back. However, I had to figure out what size I needed without every trying them on. Three weeks, and a very large check later, I got my custom shoes in the mail… and they were half a size too small. I can only stand to wear them for a few hours and they now just sit on display in my closet.
Be sure to buy what you need, not because there are extra incentives to buy what you don’t need.
4. My mistake is buying things I don’t really need just because I think I’m getting a really great deal. It’s not really saving me money if I don’t need it to begin with!
5. My biggest shopping mistake would probably be ordering way more than I needed to just to get free shipping. It’s so easy to justify unnecssary purchases when you think you’re getting something for free. For example, being the Sephora junkie that I am, every time I go online to place an order, my brain is already conditioned to spend AT LEAST $50 to meet the free shipping requirement. I overspend every single time!
6. My biggest mistake (that I continue to make) is buying something just because I have a great coupon code or the site is offering me a “free” credit toward any purchase. Those member-only designer sale sites get me every time. Like you, I have clothes in my closet that either don’t fit or just aren’t my style. But they were a “good deal” and I “saved money”. Gah!
7. Also a sucker for the member-only designer sale sites. I bought some Prada perfume because it was such a good deal…sigh. I thought I’d smelled it before and liked it. You see where this is going. Apparently it wasn’t the same perfume I had smelled. I have a really pretty bottle sitting on my dresser now.
Buy from authorized retailers online.
8. I spent some time at the Chanel counter at Dillards, finding the exact right makeup foundation. It was $60 though, and I thought I would select the exact shade I wanted and then find it online at a better price.
I ordered it online through some cosmetics site I had never heard of and when it arrived it was not only orange, it smelled terrible. The vendor, of course, offered no return.
Make sure to read all the details and don’t function on auto-pilot when shopping online.9.
9. I got a pair of Ferragamo paumps at a crazy price on eBay – ‘cos I hadn’t noticed that they were AAA, not A!
I once ordered a computer online, and entered the shipping address of my previous home. I had recently moved and was simply on auto-pilot when I was placing the order. I was sick to my stomach, thinking I’d have to camp out on my old front lawn.
Don’t order things on auto-pilot. Two hands on the wheel and focus :)
And the winner of the $250 giveaway is..Caroline who submitted this hilarious story that had me laughing because it happens all too often to me too! Please email me at carolyn @ thedailyobsesion (dot) net to claim your prize!
“I ordered this fabulous black lace dress during a final sale. I had been obsessing over for this dress for months so I was so excited that the last dress was in my size! Those sort of things never happen to me!It was three days before a big holiday party and since it required a signature, I paid express shipping to have it sent to my office. I was so rushed for time at work that I decided to put on it on (for the first time) at my friends house as we would be getting ready to go to the party together. Sure enough, the size I had ordered was UK size, not the American size. Armed with every pair of spanx I could manage to wear (I felt like Liz Lemon!), I fit into my dress as long as i didn’t try to sit down. I tried telling myself it would make me more “social” by standing and walking around talking to people. I had made it through the cocktail hour without fainting. HOWEVER, terror stuck as I was reaching for my glass of champagne, I rip the back of my dress, the zipper, EVERYTHING rips and makes a huge sound! i would horrified!”
Thanks to everyone for participating and happy holidays!!