Luscious. Pouty. Sexy. Everyone wants beautiful, healthy lips, and underneath the lipstick and gloss we all know and love, lips need a lot of TLC. Since I’m gaga over anything that has to do with lips, I figured I’d pay homage by doing a kiss-worthy roundup! I’ve pooled all my favorite lip products and done some hard-core testing to bring you the best of the best. So pucker up, here goes!
1) Ultra Repair Lip Therapy. I love how this sumptuous moisturizer coats my lips, and with this product I purposely don’t “stay within the lines.” I make sure a little extra balm goes on the corners and outside my lips so that everything is healthy and hydrated. Over the winter when I had a bit of a cold, a dash on my nose was the only thing that would soothe it. The consistency is quite thick, but not sticky or tacky. It’s there for emergencies when the wind is chafing, and also for extra TLC anytime. The handy lightweight tube is easy to grab on the go.
2) Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Lip Repair Balm. This little jar has earned its place on my nightstand. By what merit, you ask? It’s the perfect texture (soft and richly thick) and nourishing enough to last all through the night. Your body rejuvenates itself every night while you’re sleeping with cells dividing rapidly, so it makes sense to give it the best boost you can. Since I started using the balm, I’ve noticed the vertical lines on my lips getting softer, and overall texture is softer and healthier. For very dry lips, this is a must-have. The light eucalyptus scent calms like a cup of chamomile tea, perfect for evenings. For a daytime treatment, the Nourishing Lip Balm comes formulated with SPF 20 in a tube for convenience. The consistency is a little different but better for squeezing on the go. Sun protection is often overlooked for lips in favor of a facial SPF moisturizer, but lips are just as important and can show age quickly, so don’t forget to protect them.
3) Tata Harper “Be Fierce” Anti-aging Lip Treatment. I can’t gush enough about this product, it’s such a pleasure and little luxury to use during the day. Even if I didn’t know all the amazing things it actually does, just opening the satiny-green skinny tube and sliding the treatment on makes lips feel silky, soft and supple. Most lip conditioners stop there, but Tata Harper’s contains antioxidants and vitamins to slow the aging process and fight free radicals. Lavender, Comfrey, Chamomile and Calendula are used in high concentrations in this expertly formulated treatment to calm and nourish, and all ingredients are 100% natural and most are organic. It absorbs quite quickly to work deep into your lips, so you don’t notice any heaviness or stickiness, only healthiness! For the same reason, it’s perfect to use under lip stick.
4) Korres Lip Butter. For something with a bit of color, Korres is my favorite. For some reason, a lot of the “colored” balms just end up looking glossy. This one adds a definite tint with shine, and Plum is my favorite for spring and summer (it looks darker in the jar than it appears when applied)! Depending on how intense you want the color to be, it can be applied liberally or just a quick swipe for a glossy color-kissed look. It highlights lips just enough to make them pop but the shea butter and rice wax keep lips soft and hydrated. Greasiness and heaviness are not factors since it’s not goopy- it’s easily absorbed, and actually tastes a bit fruity. The container is lightweight, cute and easy to toss into a bag for day-to-night.
5) Caudalie Lip Conditioner. My first impression was that this buttery stick is incredibly luxurious and creamy — must more so than the average chapstick. An astounding 99.5% of the silky lip conditioner is naturally-derived which I love and is scented with subtle vanilla flavor. It’s light enough to wear even in the summer but works as an antioxidant so it’s always nourishing any time of day. Caudalie’s signature grape seed polyphenols provide free radical protection so your lips will look young even in 20 years! There isn’t much shine that I noticed, so it’s great for layering lipstick on top. I’ve used my first stick so quickly it’s already time for more!