It’s been a while since we wrote about Dermalogica, which has been a skin care staple in the beauty industry for what seems like ages. But I’ve been trying a lot of their products lately because (disclosure!) I’ve been working with them as a copywriter. Conflict of interest? Yep. Should you read this anyway? Yep. Here’s why:
The benefit of writing for this blog, and for several other beauty publications over the past decade, is that I’ve been exposed to far more products than the average consumer. It also means I can provide an informed opinion on products based on experience, trial and error, and product education. I am generally skeptical, and only choose to write about products I actually like, regardless of whether they were provided for free, at a discount or by a client or employer.
So, with that said, Dermalogica has been rocking my socks off (or makeup, to be precise) this month with their Double Cleanse regimen. What is that? It’s their philosophy that to achieve “a professional level of clean,” you have to clean your skin twice. When I first learned about this, I thought, “What nonsense. Who wants to clean their skin TWICE? That’s gotta be bad for you.” But then I tried it, and I don’t think I can ever go back to a single cleanse.
The Dermalogica Double Cleanse consists of:
- PreCleanse, a gentle oil-based cleanser that doesn’t really deep clean but instead breaks down all the gunk on your face — including waterproof makeup. Made with olive, kukui, vitamin E and apricot oils, it forms a “light, milky emulsion” (I’d say that’s accurate) when you rub it between your hands with warm water.
- Any Dermalogica Cleanser, which for me is either Special Cleansing Gel (for all skin types) or Essential Cleansing Solution (for dry skin). Apply and rinse off after you remove PreCleanse.
My skin has never felt better or looked more radiant after a home cleanse. (The closest it’s come would be with Elave.) Also, I’m not allowed to say anything now, but there is very exciting news about PreCleanse coming in a few months. So stay tuned!
Helpful cleansing tips:
- Never use hot water; it strips the skin of too many beneficial oils.
- Use a clean muslin washcloth to remove your cleanser. I find it’s more effective than the usual splash-and-repeat method.
- PreCleanse can double as an eye makeup remover! Just coat a cotton swab with it and spot-remove.
- If you’re a Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant fan, mix that with your cleanser for 2-in-1 exfoliation!
- Apply an alcohol-free toner and a moisturizer afterward for lasting hydration.
- Dermalogica recommends cleansing your face twice a day but my skin is so dry, I just do it at night and/or after workouts, and rinse my face with water in the morning. To each her own!