As we usher in the lovely crisp autumn air and humid hot air out, my skin is begging for a change, and that’s one thing I’ve learned not to ignore! I’ve revamped my beauty regimen for the cooler, drier air but don’t want to bring in the heavy-hitting rich creams for the winter season yet. The theme of the fall facelift? Pampering skin with the absolute highest quality ingredients sourced in nature if possible.
1. To start out, a gentle but potent cleanser which rebalances and infuses energy into skin is vital to the success of everything that comes after! The luxurious Sjal Skincare line is completely different from anything I’ve ever come across; it utilizes eastern medicine in conjuction with biotechnology of today to create gemstone-infused products. The Rose Aura Cleansing Set actually contains gold, silver, and rose quartz (talk about precious metals!) to balance skin and encourage healthy cellular activity. I love the incredibly soft 100% natural Konjac sponge for application, which when wet is so soothing on your skin that it can be used daily of the most gentle exfoliation and makeup removal. Not only is skin detoxified, but my visage appears brighter and healthier, sans that oily feeling. Since fall brings brisker air, I recommend immediately using toner and a medium-weight moisturizer to follow cleansing in order to avoid dryness.
2. L’Occitane’s Divine Lotion is part of a new line of anti-aging products which take advantage of the legendary Immortelle flowers from Corsica. The flower never fades, even after it’s been picked! So wisely using nature as the ultimate guide, L’Occitane has coaxed out the essential oils from this sprightly yellow flower, and boosted its effectiveness with 7 plant-derived active ingredients. The Divine lotion is actually a super-toner, designed to maintain a balanced complexion and help accelerate exfoliation while leaving skin feeling smoother and more supple. I prefer the Divine Lotion to traditional toners because it’s milky and pleasantly absorbed, and it multi-tasks anti-aging with rebalancing skin. The light scent of the Immortelle flower is preserved, and my skin feels deliciously soft after application.
3. I’ve been searching for the perfect eye cream that can do triple duty- reducing puffiness, hydrating, and stimulating elasticity. The Somme Institute’s Eye Cream does all three and more, and although it works best with the whole regimen, it can stand on its own with the best of them. The cream is infused with controlled-release ingredients to bring back skin’s elasticity, so it works all day or night to reduce the appearance of fine lines & wrinkles, puffiness and even dark circles. Infused with controlled-release eye-specific MDT5, the eye cream hydrates and brings back skin elasticity to the eye contour, then reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, puffiness and dark circles.
4. Jurlique’s Herbal Recovery Advanced Serum is a mega-concentrated gel serum of 18 botanical extracts, vitamins, and essential fatty acids which shield against environmental aggressors (to my fellow city-dwellers, this one’s for you!). All the pollution we endure to be able to have the world at our fingertips comes at a price to our skin. The serum smells great and feels light on my skin as it’s applied. I use two pumps to cover my face and neck, and within a minute, I’ve forgotten it’s there due to its superb absorbing properties. A layer of moisturizer on top and I’m set to go!
5. I’ll confess, I’m a huge sucker for anything that gives instant gratification. If you’re anything like me, you’ll love Aveda’s new gift set, Give Stronger Hair. Included in the set are travel sizes of limited edition Damage Remedy Shampoo and Conditioner, and a full size of the Damage Remedy Daily Hair Repair. After just one wash, I can feel the softness and suppleness take hold in my hair. The gentle daily shampoo repairs damage with quinoa protein, while nurturing with rich coconut and babassu. Especially for hair that undergoes abuse from heat-styling, this shampoo strengthens using natural ingredients, and prepares it for the next step. The conditioner re-moisturizes and also utilizes quinoa protein, then adds a blend of phellodendron, sandalwood and barley to smooth the hair cuticle. I have settled into the routine of using the shampoo and conditioner once a week to treat my hair and rejuvenate it, but daily use for severely damaged hair is a must. Fine hair gets added volume while thick, coarser hair is tamed. The last piece in the puzzle, the Daily Hair Repair is a light gel that is incredibly effective- after only one use, it repairs hair by 26% (in a clinical tensile test)! Not only does it detangle, but protects from heat styling and infuses organic essential oils. If the promise of healthy, shiny hair isn’t enough, the gift set is beautifully wrapped in hand-crafted lokta bark paper from Nepal. You’re not only taking care of yourself and loved ones, you’re giving back to families in Nepal. How’s that for a way to start spreading holiday cheer?