It can be a daunting task to continuously look stylish at work. Some of us work at more conservative companies, and it’s hard to find flexibility in a dress code! We’ve found some great ways to dress up your pantsuits and work skirts–just be sure to gauge your own workplace and corporate culture. If you think your style may be pushing the envelope, chances are that it probably is. That being said, take a look at these tips and find what works for you at work!
Jewelry: The simplest way to dress up your work wardrobe is to add a stylish piece of jewelry to your everyday look. Strands of pearls of varying lengths or pearl pendant necklaces give a simple and sophisticated lift to your suit. The Majorica collection ($145 and up) of organic pearls are gorgeous and won’t break the bank. For more of a statement, this Mikimoto cultured pearl pendant ($960) is absolutely gorgeous. The key is making sure your jewelry is simply sophisticated and not overly flashy. A simple right hand ring or bracelet from the always classic Tiffany’s is work-appropriate, yet still stands out. We like the sterling silver Elsa Peretti pieces ($175 and up) for their designs and reasonable pricing, and the Frank Gehry collection ($195 and up) for its unique architectural inspiration and structurally-focused design.
Tops: If you don’t always have to wear button-down shirts with your suits and skirts, consider incorporating dressy tops to your work wardrobe. J. Crew’s Emelia blouse ($88) would look great under a suit jacket. This silk sleeveless top ($78) from Banana Republic would perfectly dress up even a plain black skirt. Choose tops that have details that are subtle yet still stand out, like some ruching, ruffles, or pleating. A pretty top in an eye-catching color is a simple departure from plain button-down shirts.
How long has it been since your last mani/pedi session? Well, I know that it’s been too long since my last appointment. I’m just too busy – and I’m betting that there are many women who are the same boat! Well, to help your nails get into tip-top shape, we’ve put together a simple “How To” on how to give yourself an at-home mani/pedi. Get together with your girlfriends for a “girls-only day” and put the tips to use! (more…)
The warm summer months are just ahead and that means, it’s time to hit the beach! But is your skin ready for months of fun in the sun? Here’s our guide on how to get silky, perfectly bronzed skin all summer long:
Step 1: Exfoliation is the key to glowing skin year-round, but it’s especially important now. Slough off dead skin cells that have accumulated on your skin from the dry winter months. Massage an exfoliant over skin gently, paying special attention to particularly dry areas like elbows, knees and feet. Try a scrub like Repechage’s Pomegranate Cran-Apple All Over Body Scrub ($36), which is so incredibly yummy-smelling. For the face, try a gentle and oil-free scrub like Elemis’ Gentle Rose Exfoliator ($38). Just completing this step will make your skin look much more radiant than before, guaranteed!
Step 2: Moisturize! There’s no escaping this step. If you want your skin to look great, moisturization is the key to fighting off dry, dull-looking skin. It’ll also help retain pigment longer and more evenly, which is vital if you plan on using a self-tanner. Our suggestions? Olay Quench Therapy ($10), Jurlique Body Care Lotion ($23) or Tocca’s Crema da Sogna ($45) for an intensive fix. (more…)
We report on sales quite often, but we’ve never put together a guide on how to shop a sample sale! Here are a few of our tips:
- If you are going to multiple sample sales, map out your journey. Make note of when the sales start and end, as well as the floor or suite numbers. Oftentimes, sales will take place in hard-to-find buildings. Take the phone number with you – just in case you need some help finding it.
- Type A: Want the best selection? Be the first person in line on the first day. Type B: Want the best deals? Go towards the end of the last day when discounts increase. (But beware, you may not be able to score anything at all.) (more…)
It’s been awhile since our last How To post, but hopefully, we will be making them a little bit more frequent in the future. Our latest topic? It’s all about how to spa!
Are you making your first visit to the spa? Or maybe you’ve never had a massage and want to try one. You probably aren’t sure of what to expect, but like anything else, there are some rules and guidelines to follow. Here are our tips for spa etiquette and expectations:
- Do you need help picking a spa? Find out about various types of spas at the International Spa Association website and figure out what would best suit you.
- Not sure what a hydrotherapy treatment is? Look up spa terms at Spa Finder before deciding on what you want to try.
- Ask questions when booking your appointment. What treatments are best for shoulder kinks or fighting wrinkles? The receptionist should be able to make recommendations for your skin type and needs.
- When booking multiple spa treatments, remember this order: body treatment, massage and then the facial. (more…)
This month, we are introducing a brand new section called “How To’s.” These posts will consist of tips/ advice on how to purchase or wear anything – from how to differentiate between a fake or real designer bag to investing in a classic suit. And we’re kicking it off with one of the hottest trends, Skinny Denim. So without further ado…
Unless you are one of those lucky few (depending on who you ask) who has a model-like figure, you’re probably cursing the return of skinny denim. Skinny jeans look fabulous on girls with bodies like models because simply put…they’re skinny. Now for the rest of us with curves…let’s be realistic. It’s not as easy to pull off. (I am by no means advocating unhealthy dieting or anything of that sort. In fact, I think if you take a poll, most men and women prefer the curves. But I digress.) However, the truth is that we all can still wear this look – we just need to know which pair to pick and how to wear them. Here are a few tips that I’ve picked up from my own long, torturing but finished search for the perfect pair of skinny denim:
- Proportion is key. If you’re self-concious about your tummy/ hip/ butt area, pick a pair that are more similar to straight legs than stovepipes. Pair it with a long, cozy chunky knit cardigan or a floaty top belted at the narrowest part of the waist. It’s also a great time to try that sweater dress that’s making a comeback this season. (more…)