Media & Press
Many of you have no doubt, heard by now the recent Redbook scandal of publishing Faith Hill on their July cover after Extreme Airbrushing. Though we all know that photo retouching is nothing new in the fashion, beauty and advertising industries, we are still heavily influenced by images and promises of unrealistic standards of perfection. To illustrate my point- two of my best friends- one of whom has been referred to by a couple of men as â€œthe most beautiful woman Iâ€™ve seen on campusâ€ regularly talks herself down as â€œfat and uglyâ€ while the other who has a body I would kill for thinks she is â€œobese.â€ They are two very smart, worldly and well rounded women- the first just came back after spending months teaching English to underprivileged Ecuadorian children and the latter is a published academic, jet sets around the world speaking at conferences, and spends half her year in African communities developing public health programs.. all at the age of just 23. These two of my friends are just 2 of the hundreds of thousands of women- young and old, teenagers and Generation X-ers- who are regularly affected by these industry â€œstandardsâ€ of beauty even though they know that they are ridiculous.
The summer season must bring out giveaways and promotions all around because there are some fantastic ones going on right now! We’ve got them all for you, but before we share, we want to remind you that we’ll also be doing a TDO Giveaway on Monday — so stick around! Now onto the good stuff…
Our good friends at WhoWhatWearDaily is holding a beyond fabulous giveaway right now. You’ll have a chance to win the amazingly gorgeous YSL Downtown Tote from their Fall 07 collection (retails for $1,595)! All you have to do is subscribe — why are you still reading this? You should be here by now!
- The Daily Obsession adds another writer to the mix! Shoppingsmycardio becomes a regular contributor…look for posts from her soon!
- Racked reports that Alice Temperly’s collection for Target Go! International hits stores on Sept. 16. And don’t forget…the Libertine and Devi Kroell collections are in stores today!
- The Beckhams invade America, starting with the smokin’ editorial in W that’s all over the web…but if you haven’t seen it, check it out at Style.com.
- Images from Keira Kneightly’s new Coco Chanel ads appear at BellaSugar.
- Valentino takes a stake in Proenza Schouler. Details at WWD.
- Another magazine bites the dust. Jane is no more, with the details here. And what happens when you’re a Jane staffer, filming The Fashionista Diaries, this summer? StyleIT speculates.
- A Girl’s Gotta Spa! rewards busy moms with her top ten beauty products!
- Prada auctions off their FA07 prototypes this week. ShopDiary has more.
- YSL has been hospitalized for respiratory problems, reports Fashionologie.
- Ever wonder about Johnny Depp’s style secrets? Fashionista posts a recent editorial from Nylon Guys…definitely worth checking out.
- Emma Watson hits it out of the park with her Chanel outfits, while promoting Harry Potter this week. Off the Rack has a perfect example!
- The editors at Lucky found the coolest looking speaker that I’ve seen.
- WhoWhatWearDaily has some great tips on how to refresh your summer look.
- Rumor has it that Monique Lhuillier is close to sealing the deal on creating her own fragrance. Details at The Daily.
I just made a visit to Lucky‘s Style Blog for my daily dose – and what do you know? They’ve linked us! How sweet are they? :) I am sooo beyond thrilled and honored — especially because as I’ve said many times before, Lucky is my favorite magazine ever!
- ShopDiary tells us about who among the fashion set made it onto Time’s list of 100 Most Influential People of 2007.
- Saks is partnering with Bond No. 9 to create two new fragrances (one for men, one for women). BellaSugar has more info.
- Images of the Alice Temperly collection for Target are revealed at Racked.com.
- Jillian Dempsey, famed makeup artist behind the makeup brand Delux, creates a beautiful collection of makeup for Avon. Read more at Hello Dollface.
- SugarShock gives us a recap of the season finale of ANTM.
- Need a reason to shop online? Second City Style gives you one.
- Love Made Visible shows us why she loves Domino’s editor-in-chief’s living space.
- T-Mobile’s Sidekick gets a fashion makeover from designers like Bing Bang, Duckie Brown, Subversive, Phillip Lim, Rag & Bone, Robert Lee Morris, Tommy Hilfiger, Betsey Johnson, Reed Krakoff, Cynthia Rowley, and Diane von Furstenberg. Details at The Daily.
- Banana Republic adds two new fragrances to its beauty line. More at WWD
- If you’re not sure what the difference is between foundation and tinted moisturizer, The Beauty Brains breaks it down.
- Glamour editor, Suze Yalof Schwartz gives us 15 tips if you ever do a TV segment on her blog, Suze on Style. (I’m printing this for my clients!)
When I received the June issue of Lucky, my eye was immediately drawn to the purple top that Katharine McPhee wears on the cover. To my surprise, I found that it was an affordable $78 silk top from Banana Republic! The knotted straps and woven macrame detail at the front caught my attention and would work really well under a blazer (as demonstrated on the Lucky cover), but also alone with a white pencil skirt and strappy flat sandals. The thin ribbon belt creates a delicate empire waist and the fluid lines are very flattering for all shapes. I also think that Banana Republic always offers great price points for luxe-looking silk pieces. Unfortunately, BananaRepublic.com only offers the bright red color (which is still beautiful). Still, I’ll be heading to a local BR boutique to hunt down the vibrant violet version before I decide which one I like better (and hopefully, purchase).
I know this has nothing to do with fashion or beauty, but ever since I saw the music video, I’ve been obsessing over the new Maroon 5 song, Makes Me Wonder. Actually, the video is kind of sexy and styled. Check it out and let us know what you think!
- The New Yorker does an extensive and quite interesting profile on Karl Lagerfield.
- The CFDA announces the nominees for the 2007 awards. Included on this list are Phillip Lim Rodarte, Derek Lam and many more. View the entire list at The Daily.
- Marc Jacobs relapses and enters rehab this week. Read more at WWD.
- FabSugar reports that Heidi Klum has opened a boutique stateside.
- Vogue is expanding their website, but Anna Wintour apparently charged her staff to come up with an alternative word for blog. Read more at the New York Post.
- The Observer has a feature on how Manolo Blahnik gets dressed.
- Does it really take $63K to dress for success? Bloomberg News finds out.
- Kate Moss debuts her TopShop collection in this month’s issue of Vogue UK. I Am Fashion has photos and details.
I was reading Glamour editor, Ashley Baker’s blog “Slaves to Fashion” and nearly freaked out. Why? Because she got the scoop that Loeffler Randall, which we all know that I’m obsessed about, is doing a ready-to-wear line for Fall 2007. She previewed the collection that included “kicky dresses, lame tunics and Hitchcockian coats.”
Fellow LR fans, scream with me! I’m beyond excited to see it!!!! Seriously, there are no words for how much I love this label. More details at Glamour.
- Project Runway’s Alison Kelly debuts her label, Dahl, in conjunction with Rachel Leigh jewelry on Shopbop. Coquette has more.
- Hilary Alexander from the Telegraph interviews top fashionistas, asking them how they survived the weeks of fashion show whirlwind.
- Get the scoop on which designers are showing during LA Fashion Week at The Daily.
- Uniqlo delves into the denim world. Andy at Denimology has more.
- Natasha Singer from New York Times explores if the obsession with plastic surgery and staying young – is showing our age is no longer normal?
- ShopHappy tells you how to get ready for spring in shades of blue and green florals.
- For the beauty-obsessed, now you can even stay glam on your vacay with Laura Geller’s “Beauty Cruise,” according to editor Tram Kim Nguyen at Glamour.
- Interested in interviewing at a fashion mag? Fashionologie has a list of who’s hiring.
- Annie from Blogdorf Goodman kicks off 40 days and 40 Nights of Beauty Brand Reviews. Read about the best of Chanel and Dior and more, including her love affair with Bond No. 9!